Group Project Paper: Boostability
PARTS OF THE PAPER:
- 17 pages, 12-pt. Font and single spaced
- 4 pages per person.
- Talk about lean operations and how we can remove waste and extra processes that don’t add value to the customer
- INTRODUCTION: ANNA
- BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COMPANY: ANNA
- OVERVIEW OF THE OWNERS OF THE COMPANY: ANNA
- STATE THE PROBLEM: James
- STATE THE SOLUTION: James
- OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT THEORY BEHIND THE SOLUTION: Bijad – You need to write about the topics that we’ve gone over in this class about operations management and how they apply to the problems Boostability has. You’ll also need to explain the theory behind what we’re suggesting that they do to change.
- SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM AND OUR SOLUTION: James – You’ll need to summarize the content of the whole paper. Restate the problems that they are facing and the solutions that we recommend to the company to change.
- CONCLUSION: Bijad – Write a conclusion about our paper here. It doesn’t need to be too long – just summarize the whole paper.
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SOURCES FOR INFORMATION: Everyone adds to this at the end of the paper.
Boostability has come up with a list of values that the company bases its operations on. These include quality, job knowledge, reliability, productivity, initiative, creativity, transparency, collaboration, and leadership. With a focus on these company values we will present current problems within the company and the solutions we have to offer to help improve the operations within Boostability (boostability.com, 2016).
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE COMPANY:
Boostability’s mission statement is “to build an online presence for small businesses throughout the world by providing effective, affordable online marketing solutions”. Boostability was established in 2009 as a company who supports local businesses in an effort to provide effective and affordable Search Engine Optimization (SEO) solutions. With a focus on small business, Boostability’s customer base consists of entrepreneurs, family businesses, and local restaurants (boostability.com, 2016).
Within a few months, Boostability had about 13 employees. Within a year, they quickly grew to about 45 employees and continued to grow to over 475 employees by 2016. Boostability currently has over 17,500 clients in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, Germany, Netherlands, and Australia. The company currently has three office locations in Utah, Amsterdam, and Berlin as well as a physical presence in Sydney, Montreal, and Melbourne (boostability.com, 2016).
Boostability has increased its available online products to now include search engine marketing, mobile web design, social media marketing, and small business servicing. Boostability’s growth has landed it in Inc. Magazine’s Fastest Growing Companies for two consecutive years. They continue to grow and improve as a company to find new, cutting edge ways to bring SEO solutions to business owners (boostability.com, 2016).
OVERVIEW OF THE OWNERS OF THE COMPANY:
Boostability is currently registered as DBA business based out of Lehi, Utah. It’s registered agent is Russell Larson who is also the company’s current Chief Financial Officer. He directs Boostability’s financial operations, accounting, taxes, treasury, forecasting, capital raising, budgeting, financial analysis, financial reporting, strategic planning, and Human Resources. Russell has been with the company since it was established in 2009. He has a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Brigham Young University an MBA from Yale University. Russell has worked with different companies in the past including J Ballard Construction, IBM Global Services, CIT Group, and ExxonMobil Corporation (boostability.com, 2016).
STATE THE PROBLEM:
- Scalability and congruence of the quality of the service as the company expands.
- many customers report to feel like they aren’t getting the same quality service that they used to or would expect to get. They feel like they’re only part of a conveyor-belt approach to online marketing, rather than feeling like they have access to a dedicated online marketing specialist.
- Need for innovation and new markets to enter to in order to avoid fizzling out.
- . Again, just like any company, once you’ve established yourself well in your industry and space, the temptation to just sit back and ride the wave, thinking that it will always be this way, is very strong. Other than a very few minimal changes and new directions, Boostability is still providing the same few services as they were 5 years ago.
- Need for better Customer Retention
- . SEO and online marketing in general take time to see results. In an industry that is so constantly changing, it is vital that Boostability’s product continues to deliver the results that customers expect. Proper training of sales representatives and account managers, as well as constant
- High employee turnover and lack of stability in certain departments (ie: Account management)
STATE THE SOLUTION:
- Persuade the business owners to take action
- Solution should be step by step and be very detailed and specific
- Should include actionable steps to take immediately
- Long term and short term solutions
- Product Quality problem:
- Obtaining valuable customer feedback and testimonials regarding the service and its results
- Taking that feedback and doing something about it. If customers feel they are being herded through steps along the conveyor belt of a factory, implement steps to slow down the process and take on a more personal approach.
- Find what works and what doesn’t work – make necessary changes.
- Innovation and New Markets Problem:
- Form a Product Innovation team and brainstorm new ideas, markets, and services to offer, while striving to tie in those services and new ideas into Boostability’s core value of providing quality service at a reasonable price.
- Customer Retention Problem:
- Proper training of sales representatives and account managers in setting expectations for the desired results.
- Implement contracts (currently they offer month-to-month services) to obligate customers to stick around long enough for significant results to be seen.
- Stay constantly up to date with industry trends, news and tactics that are proven to provide results for the customer.
- Diagnose issues behind high employee turnover rates (too many customers to take care of, not enough time to complete required tasks, lacking necessary tools, etc.)
OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT THEORY BEHIND THE SOLUTION:
SUMMARY OF THE PROBLEM AND OUR SOLUTION:
BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SOURCES FOR INFORMATION:
- Information about the company: https://www.boostability.com/online-marketing-company/about-us/
- Products that Boostability offers: https://www.boostability.com/online-marketing/products/