Research Paper: Disease and Nutrition
For this assignment, you will conduct research and write a paper containing three parts:
- Part I: Analyze diet
- Part II: Evaluate how the patient’s diet affects:
- The person’s health (anatomy)
- The progression of the illness (pathophysiology)
- Common medications associated with the disease
- Part III: Create patient SMART goals and an evidence-based plan of care (patient education)
Choose one patient profile and use it to complete Parts I–III of the assignment.
In addition to the assignment specifics, your paper should:
- Be 4–5 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
- Source(s) should be integrated into the paragraphs. Use in-text citations pointing to evidence in the literature and supporting your ideas.
- Incorporate a minimum of two peer-reviewed sources into your paper.
- Use current APA format to style your paper and to cite your sources.
- Include a title page and a reference page listing the sources you used.
Part 1: Diet Identification and Analysis of Nutrients
Accurately identifies all details of three macronutrients in excess/deficient of CHO, PRO, and fats, and provides detailed examples.
Part 1: Diet RDA Approval Analysis
Identifies details for five or more key micronutrients that meet RDA approval and provides detailed explanations for each.
Part #2: Disease Nutrition and Pathophysiology
Accurately details how the diet from Part 1 would affect the patient and the disease. Provides three or more specific examples. Accurately details and analyzes the ways that nutrition affects the pathophysiology of the disease in general. Provides specific examples.
Part #2: Disease Medical and Nutrient-Related Interventions and Dietary Needs
Accurately describes how medicines interact with key nutrients, and details several nutrient recommendations and restrictions for this patient based on diet and medicines.
Part 3: Patient Education/Care Plan Nutrient Calculations
Accurately calculates the five required figures for this patient and identifies additional calculations as appropriate for the patient’s care plan.
Part 3: Patient Education/Care Plan SMART Goals and Patient Care Plan
Provides three well-written and clear SMART goals. Offers 2–3 specific nursing strategies and examples for the patient, and considers all aspects of the patient’s lifestyle (i.e., culture, religion, activity level).
APA and Mechanics
The assignment consistently follows current APA format and is free from errors in formatting, citation, and references. No grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors are present. All sources are cited and referenced correctly.