International Expansion Proposal Outline
Now that you’ve become familiar with the four basic strategies firms use when competing internationally, you are in a better position to apply specific strategies in the context of possible international expansion of specific companies. There are many factors a firm should consider related to its organizational architecture and the benefits and risks associated with the choice to expand internationally.
Next week, your Application Assignment is to submit a proposal for international entry or expansion of the company of your choice. The proposal must be for new expansion or entry, not for an existing activity.
To prepare for this Discussion choose a company and consider possible expansion strategies.
By Day 5
Post a draft outline of your proposal to share with your colleagues for peer review.
Your proposal should include:
- A description of the company and its current international operations (if any)
- Your proposed expansion or new market entry and its objectives. (Will it involve introducing a new product to an existing market, selling an existing product into a new country, building new facilities, or perhaps a new collaborative venture in a foreign country?)
- What products/services are involved and what is the timing of entry?
- The strategy you propose for the expansion/entry and how it relates to the four basic types of strategy discussed in the text
- The benefits of this strategy over other possible ones
- The value proposition of the expansion
- The possible risks and benefits associated with the strategy
- Conclusions and recommendations Be sure to incorporate all relevant feedback generated in this Discussion into next week’s Application Assignment, “Global Expansion Proposal.”
General Guidance on Discussion Posts: Your original post, due by Day 3, will typically be 3–4 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate.